Thursday, September 9, 2010

How Washington Really Works

I'm going to tell you how Washington really works!

Something that is so amazing about this city is that there is no shortage of people who are willing to talk to you about just that subject. You can sit down with any expert, any professional here and they'll tell you how Washington works, the details, the nuances, the interconnectedness of essentially everything. It will be amazing and you'll be sure that you've gotten the truth. And you have gotten the truth! But... there are thousands of others who'll inspire you just as much and as time goes on you'll come to realize that everyone knows exactly how Washington works... from their perspective. Each point of view will add one more detail, give you one more "ah ha" moment and you'll eventually amass your own miniature stockpile of stories and anecdotes and in the end, you'll emerge with your own viewpoint. It will be influenced by the people who you've talked to, you've argued with, you've worked for and with, you've interviewed, you've bumped into on the Metro, and those who've written the articles you'll read everyday in the media.

For me, this is just the beginning. I've been here for three weeks and I already feel as if I'm far more informed about current events, issues, policies, and the interweaving of political powers in D.C. and around the country than I ever have before.

Throughout the postings of this blog while I'm here in the Capital I'll do my best to share with you my experiences, good and bad, what I've learned and how I've learned it. I'll tell you about my experiences meeting with some of the most powerful people in our country and around the world and weave it back into one of the main points of this program; coming back to your home school with an understanding of our nation that can't be uncovered in any other way than to be here living it as it happens.

I realize as I'm writing this that it probably sounds like a lofty goal, and that I'm just in the honeymoon phase of my time here. Everything seems so glamorous and that with time it'll fade and I'll become jaded by the partisan bickering and special interest groups incessantly lobbying the hill for their causes, seemingly ignoring the opinions of the rest of the population. Maybe you're right. Only time will tell, and hope you'll stick it out with me and even live vicariously through me until it's your turn to come here and figure out for yourselves how Washington really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment